April 9, 2009

my week

Here are some pics of my little apartment right in the heart of Napoli. We are still trying to figure some things out so tomorrow will be my first night by myself. When I stop and think about it, I feel like it's someone else's life. This time around, being my second time experiencing life here, has brought less culture shock but a little more anxiety with living by myself in a different language than my own.

little kitchen the double doors leading out to the balcony

picture taken off my balcony looking out to Corso Umberto, a well-known street downtown

taken from the second floor where the bedroom is

my huge bed with my new lamp, mirror and bedspread

cute little bathroom

Since Monday, Italia has experienced a string of earthquakes, having the big one happen early Monday morning in a town called L'Aquila, just north of Rome. At around 3:30 in the morning, both Antonello and I felt the earthquake in grandma's apartment and were scared as the whole place shook and lasted for about 15 seconds, which seemed like a very long time. No one and nothing was hurt but almost 300 people have died from the quake and thousands are left without homes. It has been devastating to watch the news; there was a story where a man had lost his mother and son, who were found dead, hugging, trying to comfort eachother as the roof collapsed on them.

On a lighter note, on Tuesday, Antonello and I got on the train and headed to Pompei to meet Bruno and to talk about my possible work with him. The meeting went well, seeing that Antonello and I actually went on a tour with Bruno as our guide, so I was able to experience what I would be doing. I tried to understand what he was saying but, mamma mia, I think I only understood like 30%....which is not enough. He gave me some study materials so I have been doing that but I feel I have such a LONG way to go in my italian. Bruno also mentioned that there may be some good work for me to lead tours to the island of Capri and to lead tours around Napoli, around the region of Campania so it might be another possibility but nothing is for sure yet.

For Easter, we are heading to Bari, which is on the east coast of Italy, and spending the weekend with his uncle and aunt. I think I should start preparing my stomach for the grand feast. :)

Ciao amici! A presto!

No comments: